Monday, June 21, 2010


I didn't have what would be considered the typical College experience.


There was no greek life and therefore, no "Frat Boys"- there were no foot ball games, basketball games, baseball games- no college town bars and for four years, I never once saw a Keg on campus. But what I did have was late night rehearsals, drag queen extravaganzas and a class of 15.


I consider myself lucky.



When you go to College, you never know what to expect. You hear stories from older friends and siblings and see what college life is like on TV (90210, athankyou) but no amount of sibling advisement or syndicated television could have prepared me for the journey that I was to embark on in August of 03- the journey that I call College.



It
was
FRIGHTENING.



All Artists. All competing. All trying to bond.



I remember sitting at the first class meeting and looking around at the 15 strangers faces and wondering "How the hell are we all supposed to get along?". Little did I know that the 15 of us would grow to know each other like only family can. Spending hours upon hours a day in classes together, not to mention rehearsals that went on forever and then returning to the same dorm hallway day after day, night after night & then spending the weekends together- whether hanging out or performing- will have that affect on you. We were all so different, but we learned how to co exist in a complimentary and productive manner (for the most part. I mean, come on, people! There was DRAMA... we are OPERA singers after all! How much more dramatic can it get!?).



And so came and went our freshmen year.... And our sophomore year.... And our junior year.... And our Senior year.



And here we are, 3 years after Graduation- 7 years after we all had just met- and we are still the best of friends.



I consider myself lucky. Very lucky.



For the rest of my life, I will have a group of friends who know me and understand me. Who accept me for who I am, what I am not, what I do and what I don't. Friends who understand my passions. Friends who laugh with me and who keep me laughing. Friends who know the same struggles and triumphs. Friends who support each other. Friends who celebrate the victories and encourage through the not-so-victorious moments. Friends who are always there, even when I can't see them.



Days, weeks, months and in some cases, years (!) pass us by without being able to all be together. But we find a way to make it happen and when it does, it is magical. Every mini reunion we have is like we never skipped a beat. We talk and we laugh and we love. What more could anyone want?



Nope, I didn't have your typical college experience but because of the people I shared it with, I'd say it was way above average. I have learned so much about life from my friends. I have seen so many things that not many people will ever get to see. I've opened my mind and my heart and I have grown tremendously. And still, years later, I am lucky enough to have the same bond with the same amazing people.



I consider US very lucky.


Thank you, Seniors 07. You have each made my life that much more beYOUtiful.

1 comment:

  1. Heartyoumeg. 4-7 forever. I'm so glad that you care about keeping us all together!!!

    ReplyDelete